Monday, June 16, 2014

Romans Study

Something I really wanted to do this year was read my entire Bible. I got an NIV while I was in the gospels, so then I switched over to reading it from my NKJV. I started in the New Testament- alternating between that and Proverbs sometimes, and now I'm almost done. Still, the Old Testament is way longer and will take a lot of time.

But the New Testament was much more important to me. After all, the New Testament tells us over and over that we have been saved from the laws of the Old Testament! Because of Christ's sacrifice, it is no longer what we are subject to. To read the Old Testament I believe would give me a greater understanding and appreciation of what exactly we have all been saved from, and so I will read through it on my own. But I think that at the same time, I will alternate between it and re-reading the New testament, just to maintain the focus on grace and forgiveness.

As I have gone through all the letters Paul and others wrote... I'm in awe. I really mean it. There is so much stuff, so many points made on how to look at life and how to live it. What mindset to be in, where to put your focus, and how to carry it out (and forgive yourself when you fail). The grace and love demonstrated is so profound.

My family broke away from a legalistic church a few years ago and we began to homechurch with others who left, meeting in each others' homes. We've been at it for over three years now, and its the the best thing that ever could have happened, I think, to strengthen and grow us all in faith, in our individual ways. Our new foundation was Grace, not law. And that was an amazing relief.

But now as I read through the Bible for myself, I see how TRUE it is. It's one thing for someone to give you a new way to view God and Faith, and support it with Bible verse after verse. It's even more huge when you open it for yourself and actually see, "Wow. It's all here. It's so plain. Love and grace and forgiveness from sin are so emphasized and constantly repeated." I'm confounded by how someone who devoted their life to preaching the Word could constantly miss that. Teaching legalism and fear while the truth of Grace is so smack-in-the face is just unbelievable...
But enough of that- I'm not going to talk about legalism today.

I wanted to share all the verses I highlighted in my studies so far, and since I didn't start highlighting until Romans, I thought I'd just start there. I typed up all the ones I underlined in my Bible. It's a lot. I know that when I go back and read it again, there will be more, or I'll understand them all in other ways than the first time, too, but here's my original list. Verses that stick out at me, whether eye-opening, inspiring, humbling, or admonishing, or just plain interesting and worth a lot of thought. They all need to be trained into my mind and daily life, over and over...


You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things.

-Romans 2:1


For God does not show favoritism.

-Romans 2:11


But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes from faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

-Romans 3:21-24


...suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by His Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.

-Romans 5:4-5


But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ dies for us.

-Romans 5:8


Since we have been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through Him! For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life!

-Romans 5:9-10


...sin is not taken into account when there is no law.

-Romans 5:13
(An interesting thought... Read the verses around it, too.)


Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.

-Romans 5:18
(I like to see this one as "the final eye for an eye.")


In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

-Romans 6:11


For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

-Romans 6:14


...it is no longer I who do it, but it is the sin in me that does it.

-Romans 6:20


Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

-Romans 8:1-2


But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you.

-Romans 8:10-11



I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

-Romans 8:18


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

-Romans 8:28


Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

-Romans 8:35


No, in all things we are more than conquerors through Him Who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will  be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

-Romans 8:37-39


..."I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

-Romans 9:14-16
(And He has a LOT of mercy.)


..."The word is near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: that if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

-Romans 10:8-9



"Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame."

-Romans 10: 11


For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile- the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

-Romans 10:11-13


"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgements, and His paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been His counselor? Who has ever given to God that God should repay Him?"
For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen.

-Romans 11:33-36


Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will.

-Romans 12:2


...Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

-Romans 12:3


We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

-Romans 12:6-8


Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but willing to associate with those of low position. Do not be conceited. Do bot repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written, "It is Mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary, "If your enemy is hungry, feed him, if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil,  but overcome evil with good.

-Romans 12:9-21


Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

-Romans 13:10
(God is Love. So God is the Fulfillment of the law. So only His sacrifice was sufficient to save us.)


The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

-Romans 13:12


Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

-Romans 13:14



If anyone noticed any typos or reference mistakes, please let me know. 
Also, these are all taken from the NIV.




No comments:

Post a Comment