Sunday, August 3, 2014

Homemade Deodorant


Well, I wanted a deodorant that was dry and aluminum-free. 
I've always juggled between Arm & Hammer (which contained aluminum) and Tom's (which was wet, and I didn't care for so much). But I figured out this recipe, and had great results. 



Ingredients:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch
4 tablespoons coconut oil
10 drops lemongrass essential oil
(Or another scent!)

Mix well in a bowl, making sure to crush all lumps out of the corn starch and baking soda. The result of this recipe will fill two deodorant containers, so you'll need to have a couple of empty ones on hand, or else you can store it in a container and apply by other means. For best results, store in a cool place or a refrigerator. As in the toothpaste, coconut oil softens quickly in warm conditions. 

When I first found the guideline recipe online, it called for 6 tablespoons of coconut oil... but as I was adding it, I stopped at 4, because 6 was promising to make it soupy. I stored it in the fridge while my family went to church, and when I came back it was perfect. Now it's been in my warm room for a few hours and is at a very soft consistency, but not runny.  So I say 4 tablespoons is ideal, or even less if you prefer. 

And guess what? It smells great and works just as well as the Arm & Hammer I preferred did. But now I know it's safe. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment